NewsBack to News
Exeter’s Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery is forming a youth panel to help shape the museum’s exhibitions and events programme and maximise the engagement of younger audiences. There are places for twelve university students aged 18-25.
Funded through the Art Fund’s paid cultural work opportunities scheme, this is an opportunity for young people to have a voice and take an active role in shaping what happens at RAMM over the next twelve months. It will include planning, implementing and reviewing the exhibitions and events programme. Panel members will gain first-hand experience of the workings of an award-winning regional museum and gain useful employability skills.
The Youth Panel will meet once a month to develop a youth voice across all aspects of RAMM’s work. As part of this experience youth panel members will be given the opportunity to carry out the following:
- Plan, organise and implement two youth-focused events during the twelve month period.
- Develop a social media campaign aimed at getting young people interested in what’s going on in the museum.
- Review the RAMM visitor experience from the point of view of a young person.
- Act as a critical friend, helping RAMM to improve its engagement with young people across the region and beyond.
- Take part in a range of training opportunities within the museum such as visitor interaction, object handling and exhibition briefings.
- Produce a trail around the museum on a theme decided by the youth panel.
- Assist in the planning of one of the new exhibitions proposed for the museum.
- Plan and deliver a recruitment strategy to encourage new youth panel members to join (in an unpaid capacity) in order to ensure the youth panel is sustainable after the initial first funded 12 month period.
Time Commitment: RAMM will pay youth panel members for one day each month. This will be the minimum time requirement but panel members may wish to volunteer more time.
Role Duration: The funding for RAMM’s youth panel is for a twelve month period but members can sit for up to two years.
Salary: RAMM’s youth panel members will be paid at a rate of £7.70 per hour for one day a month. However, the maximum payment from RAMM for each panel member over the twelve month period will be £668.98. Youth panel members may want to put more time in than the minimum one day a month but an extra time commitment will be unpaid.
RAMM is looking for someone who is:
- Aged between 18 and 25.
- A full-time university student in the UK.
- Passionate about arts, culture and heritage.
- Reliable and committed to dedicating at least one day a month to supporting RAMM in its aim to engage more young people.
- Enthusiastic about learning new skills and having new experiences.
- Digitally literate.
- Enjoys working as part of a team.
The application deadline is Monday 7 October 2019.
The first meeting will be on a Wednesday afternoon.