NewsBack to News
The Exeter Initiative for Science and Technology (ExIST) is a dedicated sub-group of Exeter Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The Initiative was founded in June 2011 by a group of business leaders from Greater Exeter. The Initiative aims to optimise interaction between organisations (business, academic, and schools) with interests in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine (STEMM), to increase awareness of Exeter as a centre for science and technology, to build relationships between education at all levels and businesses, and to encourage investment in all STEMM organisations in the region. The faciliatory role that ExIST has played over the past nine years has resulted in it becoming the recognised and independent voice of the STEMM sector in our region.
To ensure ExIST’s continued success, we are seeking to appoint a Vice Chairperson, to work alongside the current Chair, Clodagh Murphy, for a period of up to 12 months. You will be joining an enthusiastic and engaged voluntary steering group of organization representatives and your role will involve the continual development of ExIST by championing, facilitating, and supporting the science and technology sectors.
After 12 months, the Vice Chair will step into the role of Chair and be enrolled as a Board Director of Exeter’s Chamber of Commerce.
This is a pure voluntary role and you will need to be able to devote a minimum of 1-2 days per month. If you are passionate about science and technology and have a strong business background then we would like to hear from you.
- Develop ongoing strategy for ExIST with current Chair;
- Continue to develop Exeter’s profile as the home for STEMM in the South West and to raise its profile throughout the UK;
- Take an active part with the volunteer steering group and work with One Voice Media on PR, marketing, and event organisation, including website management, production of ‘Insight’, social media, and digital communications;
- Identify individuals and/or resource to lead sponsorship activities, event speaker liaison, and mentoring;
- Continue to develop the profile for the Initiative, and to maintain the significant brand already established;
- Work with Chair to develop programme of activities in support of ExIST aims;
- Increase awareness of STEMM in Exeter by building on the existing activities;
- Represent ExIST specifically, and STEMM generally, within a number of other organisations including: Exeter Chamber of Commerce, Exeter Science Park, Exeter City Futures, South West Manufacturing Group, Innovation Exeter, and Tech Exeter and other STEMM initiatives;
- Represent the STEMM community when meeting major businesses looking to
relocate to Exeter.
The Vice Chair should be prepared to dedicate up to 1-2 days per month as follows:
- 2-3 hrs per month for Steering Group meetings
- 2-3 hrs per quarter for Quarterly Meetings
- Planning support for Quarterly Meetings
- Planning support for ‘Insight’
- Involvement with other local STEMM activities
To apply please send your CV together with an overview of why you feel you would be a suitable Vice Chair to Joanne Caine – firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is 30th September 2020.
Visit www.existexeter.co.uk for more information.
Network Rail Wales & Western are continuing their programme of rail improvement works keeping the railway safe and reliable.
This year sees the return of our Charity Christmas Tree Festival. Back for its 8 th year,...
In response to customer feedback, from Sunday 1st November Stagecoach South West is introducing some new timetables across their South...